Why does summer hold so much expectation? Why does it melt, and take away all the stiff, harsh layers of winter with only one touch of its warm breeze? In summer, I can run free with bare feet and hair flying in braids. Fireflies circle through all the wild grass, and the whole earth buzzes; the locust; the cicada; the infant birds up in a nest; the frogs out in the ditch. Summer smiles down at me and begs for my release, so that there is no past between us, only now, with the clouds, and the coneflower and its buzzing bumblebee. Purple and gold; sweet and sting. Somewhere in the distance, a train rumbles by and I listen. Listen. Listen.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Summer is Almost Here
Why does summer hold so much expectation? Why does it melt, and take away all the stiff, harsh layers of winter with only one touch of its warm breeze? In summer, I can run free with bare feet and hair flying in braids. Fireflies circle through all the wild grass, and the whole earth buzzes; the locust; the cicada; the infant birds up in a nest; the frogs out in the ditch. Summer smiles down at me and begs for my release, so that there is no past between us, only now, with the clouds, and the coneflower and its buzzing bumblebee. Purple and gold; sweet and sting. Somewhere in the distance, a train rumbles by and I listen. Listen. Listen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
George Harrison comes to America
Chapter One "I hear the girls in America like a good yank . . . but prefer a limey." John had said it with a straight face, but ...
-
Three years ago, in the summer of 2009, I sat down to write a story about a girl who falls in love with a library ghost. I'd writt...
Not even Wordsworth could have said it so beautifully.
ReplyDeleteGrosses bises, Cro.
Thank you. I truly love summer: )
ReplyDeleteI love, love, love summer! It's beautiful! You described it perfect, I already feel like running barefoot, too bad I have to work 8 hours first!
ReplyDeleteYou should play hooky and we could walk down through the haunted forest together like Anne and Diana.
ReplyDelete