Wednesday, October 19, 2022

No, no . . . not Van Gogh



I'm sure you've all heard of the protestors who threw soup on a Van Gogh. So much controversy and conversation, and I'm no different. My instant reaction was anger, upset, revulsion. Spoiled brats, etc. I didn't think anything of their hair dye or the fact that they had to fly or take a train to get to the museum, no, I just didn't like the idea of people throwing soup on a beautiful piece of art. Then you have supporters who think pro-art people like me are stupid. I said, hey, if I throw soup on a painting right now will it help change your mind? That really made them mad. But here's the thing: I'm not right, and they're not either. None of us are right. And it's not even about the art. I think people want to be heard--the earth most of all. 

I do get why the protestors did it. And I know they had good intentions. The method could be better, but point taken it made us all talk about doing things that are more eco-friendly. Should we all start defacing art and music and anything that is dear and precious and beautiful? No. Certainly not. But we can and should do better. The problem is the people who have the money and power aren't listening. They need to listen. We need to start changing how we do things.

During the pandemic when everyone was stuck at home and the roads and sky were practically void of traffic, Mother Nature did a quick turnaround. It was astounding. So why don't we utilize those methods again where people worked at home and students took on-line classes? I never understood why we forced everyone to go back so soon . . . you have to admit, something was working.

But the thing about the art, sunflowers. That image which Van Gogh painted from the depths of his miserable, depressed, suicidal soul. . . it brought light and hope to himself and others. It makes me think of dear Ukraine. This is why I think I reacted so strongly at first--sunflowers represent their have valiant fight against evil P*tin. 

Yet at the end of the day we can't keep having rash, angry outbursts to make a point. We need to work it out. In the 90s there were tons of those stupid talk shows where people ranted against each other for one issue or the other, but point being, they worked it out. Maybe we should start doing that again and stop with all the crazy online banter. 

Also, if everyone did peaceful things like enjoy the earth, paint sunflowers, visit museums . . . maybe things would be better. 

But you know what bothers me those most? Why didn't they pick a Warhol? That would have made much more sense. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...