Wednesday, November 21, 2018

It's the most depressing time of year



photo credit: Howard TJ #InkTober Day 11:  Cruel via photopin (license)


For every positive there's a negative. I'm sure most of us would rather focus on the former, but the reality in life is that there are dark sides to every situation. The holidays are like a time bomb that spurs emotional confrontations into high gear. As a child of emotional abuse, I learned many coping techniques that taught me to put up with a lot I really shouldn't have. My ability to speak, move, even use the bathroom was altered. Basically, I let myself 'play dead' for other people. It's taken years to get over that, and sadly, I'm still in the process. However . . . emotional abuse is universal. At one time or another, we were all made victim by a family member, trusted adult, or loved one. Perpetrators use the holidays to attack, romantic partners use it to keep their partner under lock and key--a veritable prison--all while looking like Ward, or June, Cleaver.

Below is an article offering some coping tips for victims of emotional and or physical abuse. And remember this, all abuse is physical. The stress of abuse takes its toll on a victim over time. Heart issues, liver, PTSD, brain functioning, you-name-it, are unfortunate side effects and cannot be ignored. Stay safe and remember that, no matter what, you are important. You don't have to play dead for other people. You deserve better. Take care and enjoy whatever peaceful moments you can.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/a-holiday-guide-for-abuse-survivors/

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...