Thursday, April 28, 2011

X is for . . . uh . . .

I can't write about xylophone, no one wants to hear about that. I can't write about x-rays, that's too obvious. X has a sinister feel to it, like it snuck into the alphabet and wedged in next to Y with a gun in his pocket, "Don't say anything or I'll shoot U, Y." Scooting just a bit, Y's long stem began to tremble.

X is coercive, strange, violent, seductive, it gives me a headache, it makes me dizzy. It's a nightmare letter. A challenge. It's the one that got away. But came to stay. Give me a day, and I'll think of a word.

11 comments:

  1. It is hard isn't it? Lots of ex beginnings but very few X...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. It's like a speed bump to Y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Amy, you are one clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all the result of mis-spelling. All X words really start with a Z. Doesn't help matters, but gives you a good excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see we all agree X is just a naughty letter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like your description of X, very evocative :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. X is an insidious little letter, isn't it? A letter to stub your toe over...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. X sounds like a very good story book character.

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...