Saturday, February 4, 2012

A writing post

I've been gone so long . . . sounds like a blues song, but it's just me feeling guilty. I've been editing, and I guess I just can't juggle too many brain projects at a time. But these were tough edits. I had to go over the first few chapters with a fine comb. I took things out, and put them back in, and took them out again. Last chapter--gone. Couple of opening scenes--gone. You won't miss them, but I will. Actually, once I decide to make a cut, I'm strangely emotionless about the whole thing. "Ah, that was easy." Well, anyway, I wouldn't make any cut if it wasn't the right thing to do. I think. Oh geez. Don't go back . . .

That's what is so hard about final edits: every change is so important, and so BIG.

One thing I figured out this round was that I do my best editing early in the morning. I'm prone to distractions, and since there are no talk shows, kids to take care of, dog wanting to be walked, food to snack on, housework to do . . . you get the point. There's none of that, and I find I can concentrate and actually focus on the work. I also made changes in how I work in the afternoon: no tv. No commitments.  Everything can wait.

Taking notes helped a lot. When I began to stress out over things I had to change, I would take a million notes to release that anxiety.

I wrote this entry because I've had a deep shame with my bad editing habits. I honestly thought I would be like other writers and be able to recount every detail of my writing life. It hasn't been that way. Editing is not my happiest chore. And yet, I'm always, always grateful for the changes that come and my editor's suggestions. Like a mother, I know that any addition/fix is for the best. For that beautiful shiny cover, I can take all pain.

10 comments:

  1. I think editing/revising is the hardest part. Not that the writing can't be hard, too, but once it's done, I usually don't want to go back and fix anything, even though I know its' necessary. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, because it's admitting we were excessive, you know? All worth it though : ) Thanks for stopping by mshatch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Haven't been by in a while. I know what you mean about cutting things out. It feels bad right up to the moment you cut. After that, the pain's gone and you can go on.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you too, Misha and Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will get through it. There is always pain in "getting there", no matter the task. It sounds similar to giving birth. You have done the 9 months, now you want it over. However, it is just leading to all new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you-that's a good reminder. I definitely felt that after receiving this latest round of editors notes. "We're going to be working on the opening, again?!" But now after doing all the work I can see how things have wrapped up. I think, THINK, we're at the end now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruthless deletion! As the old song says, you gotta be cruel to be kind...

    :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all worth it in the end! I'm like you - I take a lot of notes to relieve anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain. That's why I have an editor. Otherwise I'd beat myself up.

    ReplyDelete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...