Saturday, August 16, 2014

Endings and Such



I think my next adventure will be in the form of galleys to proof for The Time Seekers. That's always a bit nerve-wracking, especially for someone like me who freaks out and loses all ability to discern good writing from bad writing the second she sees her own work. Basically I'll be looking for missing commas and continuity problems, like, Character A walks into a backyard holding her daughter's birthday cake, only to catch a Frisbee later on in the same exact scene. Believe me, this does happen, despite a thorough combing through by author, editor and copy editor. Galleys require you to print out the entire manuscript, which is even more freaky, because you have visions of yourself knocking coffee across the stack, or your child opening a window on a blustery day. And then there are cats. The whole thing is frightening, but it must be done.

I realized the other day how difficult it's been for me to talk about The Time Seekers because in doing so I might reveal plot secrets. I suppose that is a common problem for anyone who's written a sequel. Mentioning the plot by any degree is a betrayal to the first novel, and no way in heck can I discuss any part of the plot mid-to ending because it'll not only ruin the first book, but the third as well. It's kind of unfair. I'd love to gush about the book the same way I did with The Soul Seekers, but, can't. What I can say is that Emma starts off working in a university library married to some *dude.* Then some *stuff* happens. Then there's a time *mishap* and Emma runs all over the place and has to make some *decisions.* Then the whole thing builds toward a *shocking* ending. But that's all I can say.

Next time, I'll tell you about The Love Seekers.







2 comments:

  1. Amy it sounds so exciting. What I loved about 'The Soul Seekers' was when you came to the end of a chapter you just had to keep on reading to see what happens next. The 'Time Seekers' looks another 'must-read'. We're all so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I learned to write like that, it just made me feel better to round things up and give hint to coming events. Nice that it worked well! I was truly surprised when readers said the first book kept them up all night. That's the best compliment a writer can receive! Thanks for all your kind words, Molly!

      Delete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...