Monday, August 15, 2022

Monday, Monday . . .

This morning I broke my new (cheap) glasses and also am out of canvasses. So, not painting for a while and it doesn't matter because I can't see! 


I was just remembering--topic change-about how the virus and how it stole my taste and smell. Did it happen to you? Those sense have never completely come back and things that used to smell one way now smell the other, like garlic for instance: garlic now smells like rust. Strange. I've learned to live with this impediment but for a while when everything reeked like rotten meat, I wanted to cry. Afflicted too, my son tried all the internet remedies with me but the only thing that truly worked was time and acceptance.

The first week of losing taste and smell were the worst. What a strange phenomenon to not even know if there was a fire. I smelled nothing. One time after walking by a fancy candle--the kind you get at the mall via those pushy salesgirls--I stuck it to my once-sensitive nose, and complained, "Come on! I know you have scent!" It was all very frustrating. 

Coffee used to be a pleasant smell but now has a funky taste and odor. Chips can be gross, and meat has lost its appeal. What about you? What has your experience been? 

I realized one day that there's no distinction between actual taste anymore. Things are sweet, sour, salty or hot. But the actual flavor it gone. What a shame. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...