Saturday, November 9, 2013

Dead green tomatoes

Let's just say I have fallen behind on my tomato duty. This summer I ate them off the vine, chopped them up for salsa, sliced them for sandwiches, gave them away, saved them, watched them rot. But now I've given up. Too many tomatoes!!

This is after a frost. The plant is dying, but the fruit still clings.

So close. You guys want to pick some for me?

And here's what's left of the leaves so far on a backyard tree. Won't be long before the rest fall down. 


6 comments:

  1. It isn't summer any more, no matter how often Dorothy clicks her ruby red heels. Time to stoke up the fire and hunker down.
    I do understand it's summer now, down under. Hmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind at least one year of constant fall or spring weather. Ain't gonna happen, lol.

      Delete
  2. Not gardening weather here either. The log fire is a lot more inviting. My garden usually has to look after itself now until March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a log fire sounds so nice. Love the smell in the air when there's fires going and snow coming down!

      Delete
  3. If you gather the still-good tomatoes, and put them in a newspaper lined drawer, they will ripen. But watch them closely, some go off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll do that. And I know what you mean about them going rotten. My biggest problem has been fruit flies—you never see the little buggers until you sit down with some wine, then they're all over the glass and in your face.

      Delete

A Millennial romp through Jane Austen

  A few years back I wrote this story about a fifteen-year-old girl named Frankie drudging through a very complicated life in a fictional sm...